I wish to share a list of ideas regarding the next big evolution: ChibiOS3.0.
Currently I have a list of possible evolutions:
- Tickless kernel, remove the system tick and reduce the power consumption, the CPU will be able to stay deep sleeping for longer intervals. The problem is a more difficult portability because timer requirements.
- High Resolution Timer, the intervals handled by the kernel would not be milliseconds but a much higher resolution, this could become possible in a tickless kernel.
- Real time counter handling moved in the Kernel from the HAL.
- CPU usage performed using the real time counter.
- Multicore support.
- HAL no more strictly coupled with the kernel and usable also standalone or with other RTOSes implementing the RTOS abstraction layer.
- Standalone ChibiOS with bootloader. The HAL would be handled as a separate project.
- Memory protection (MPU/MMU) support.
- Statistics module in the kernel.
- Make 3.0 32bits only and optimize for it. NilRTOS could be targeted to the 8/16 bits space and be able to use the new HAL.
Other points that should be added or considered?