ChibiOS/GFX C++

Tectu

ChibiOS/GFX C++

Postby Tectu » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Hello folks,

Lately I was doing a lot of work using C++. I did came across several advanced C++ concepts and design patterns. At some points, I nearly started to cry. Many problems and many lines of code could have been saved by using C++ instead of C for ChibiOS/GFX.
Since many threads and discussions about ChibiOS/RT together with C++ have been pop'd up, I'm asking myself if people would be intersted in a C++ based ChibiOS/GFX? No features would be missing, the current state would just be completely ported and adding new features at the current level (GUI and stuff) would be quite a lot easier.

What do you think? Please tell us your thoughts.

~ Tectu

tecnologic

Re: ChibiOS/GFX C++

Postby tecnologic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:24 am

hi Tectu,

a C++ port of GFX would be a great thing for me. I am just looking at optimisation of the ChibiosRT C++ wrapper to get more benefits from C++.
http://www.stf12.org/developers/FreeRTOS_EC.html mainly i want to try something more like this FreeRTOS wrapper. To encasule the Task management from the Users line of sight.

But i have to say right now i am in exam trouble, but when i have the time this would be my way.

Greetings

Tec

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Bha! Don't tell me anything about exam trouble! :D

I lack the experience to know how much time it will take and how much trouble it will make to rewrite the library in C++.
I am mostly just not sure if people wouldn't use it anymore. Personally, I am not a bit interested in having a C and a C++ library archiving the same.

~ Tectu

P.S. Stop stealing my second signature! :mrgreen:

tecnologic

Postby tecnologic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:19 pm

HI Tectu,

i to would not want to maintain both versions. What about a Wrapper for a set of high level C++ functions. I know its not as elegant as C++ from bottom up.
For my actual project based on STM32F4 i wrote a C++ Graphics interface for my 1Bit Graphic displays, and i loved the modularity of it. But it was an big effort to write the graphic functions, and then i looked at GFX and it gives my a lot of benefit, the only trade of is that i only hab 1Bit color but a fix in the low level Driver will be the solution.

So i think u have Gwen nearly in C++, when you now wrap the rest in C++ its elegant and you have less efford to maintain the code. and only the highlevel windowing is in C++
and with µCLibc++ u have a mostly full C++ for ARM controllers.

Greetings

TecNoLogic

P.S.: :D just read ur ps, have not thought about it :)

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:36 pm

What exactly do you mean by wrapper instead of rewrite from ground up? You know that the library is already fully usable with C++ code? All the functions are wrapped in the #ifdef __cplusplu macro.

~ Tectu

P.S. Don't worry about the signature at all. It was more a kind of a joke. I used it back a few years ;-)

mabl

Postby mabl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am

I am also using C++ with ChibiOS. I guess the main problem is to know what you should do, and what not ^^. I've never used uClibc++.

One of the important things when using C++ is to suppress all the useless stuff. I typically go with "-fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fno-unwind-tables -std=c++11".

@tecnologic: Are you using the new wrapper? If so, I'd be very interested in your changes. I've since rewritten the memory pool without any void pointers and using placement new.

tecnologic

Postby tecnologic » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi mabl,

i am porting the ManagedTasks Class from FreeRTOS Enhanced Class to Chibi, cause i like the way of using it. when i am done, i think off ne next week then i will post the code here. I also forked your Chibi mirror on github unter this username and i will publish the changes there.

Right now i think of this Class as an addon, in inherits BaseThread i think.

Greets

Tec Nologic :)

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:53 pm

tecnologic wrote:Tec Nologic :)

I hope you can sleep well, man :D

~ Tectu

Return to “LCD Driver and Graphic Framework”