[DISASTER] Web site gone

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Giovanni
Site Admin

[DISASTER] Web site gone

Postby Giovanni » Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 am

Hi,

So, it just happened, our hosts killed the whole hosting when we moved the domain to another host. Revenge or old plain stupidity? we are trying to get access again but I don't have really hopes about that, because covid they also suspended phone support... I compiled a form but not answer so far. The best we could reach is a bot in a facebook chat...

Lesson learned, go for hosts with a reputation, not cheap ones and, mainly, not local ones.

The web site was old but I liked it, we will rebuild it starting from HTML data and CSSs, we have 95% of the static content. Rocco Marco is rebuilding the CMS and I am restoring the basic pages on a temporary wiki, perhaps it is time to update and finish that RT book.

Giovanni

JSStabl

Re: [DISASTER] Web site gone

Postby JSStabl » Tue May 12, 2020 9:13 am

Hi Giovanni,

shit happens! Some hosters do shady stuff, sucks when it happens.

Let me know if I can help in any way! Happy to support you guys with some of my skills once in a while :)

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Tue May 12, 2020 8:06 pm

JSStabl wrote:Let me know if I can help in any way! Happy to support you guys with some of my skills once in a while :)

Thanks for your kind offer but I need to shoulder the result of my own stupidity myself... :)

Giovanni

JSStabl

Postby JSStabl » Wed May 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Sure! To be fair you already helped me shoulder a lot of my own stupidity so far though :)

JSStabl

Postby JSStabl » Fri May 15, 2020 8:58 am

Would you maybe have a pdf copy of the chibiOS book in the meantime? :)

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri May 15, 2020 9:00 am

Hi,

I have the book HTML data, I am taking some time because it was so old and I want to update it while rebuilding, maybe I will resume my old idea to make also a printed version.

How would you convert it in PDF? I am curious to see the result.

Giovanni

Raul

Postby Raul » Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 am

wkhtmltopdf, I've use it with success for html to pdf conversion.

JSStabl

Postby JSStabl » Fri May 15, 2020 10:18 am

Hmm that depends how you wrote the book, did you write it directly in HTML or use Latex or some other tool?

If the former, Rauls suggestions is probably the best approach for the mean time :)

If you send me the HTML I can take care of it.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri May 15, 2020 10:41 am

It is written as text files with markup, DokuWiki then converts it in HTML. I would from the text files, this is an example:

Code: Select all

===== RT Time and Intervals =====

Handling of time is a fundamental mechanism in ChibiOS/RT, it is quite important to understand some basic concepts:
  * System Tick.
  * System Time.
  * Time Intervals.
  * Time units.
  * Tick-less mode.
  * High Resolution mode.

==== Global Settings ====

|CH_CFG_ST_RESOLUTION  |System time type ''systime_t'' resolution in bits, the value can be 16 or 32.  |
|CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY  |System time frequency. Defines the working frequency of the system time increase.  |
|CH_CFG_ST_TIMEDELTA  |If zero then the kernel uses the classic tick mode, in alternative the tickless mode is activated. Values greater or equal to two defines the minimum number of ticks for intervals, the value one is forbidden.   |
|CH_CFG_INTERVALS_SIZE  |Size in bits of the ''sysinterval_t'' type, the value can be 16, 32 or 64.  |
|CH_CFG_TIME_TYPES_SIZE  |Size of the time types ''time_secs_t'', ''time_msecs_t'' and ''time_usecs_t'', the value can be 16 or 32. Note that an additional time ''time_conv_t'' is also defined which has double size in bits, this type is used internally for safe time conversions.  |

===== Definitions =====

Definitions of terms used:

==== System Tick ====

The system tick is the atomic unit of time in ChibiOS/RT, time is measured in ticks. The system tick increases the system time counter.

==== System Time ====

System time is a counter of type ''systime_t'' increased by the System Tick, when the counter reaches its maximum value then it returns to zero, this does not affect functionality, the counter is meant to be able to wrap. The type ''systime_t'' is used for __absolute time__, specific instants in the system time domain.

==== Time Intervals ====

A time interval is a __time period measured in system ticks__. Note that intervals have their own time ''sysinterval_t'' not to be confused with ''systime_t'' which is used for absolute time.
Note that the ''sysinterval_t'' type can be larger than ''systime_t'', this means that intervals can be larger than the system time counter range capability.
Time intervals and system times must never be mixed, there are conversion functions to be used for time calculations.

==== Time Units ====

A time units are used to define intervals using standard time units rather than system ticks. Time units have their own types: ''time_secs_t'', ''time_msecs_t'' and ''time_usecs_t''. Utilities are provided for converting from time units to time intervals and vice versa.
Note that time units cannot be used for absolute time (''systime_t''), only time intervals can be converted to/from time units.

===== An example =====

{{  chibios:documentation:books:rt:kernel_time:system_time.png  }}

In the picture we have:
  * The system time as the dotted line, note, it wraps at some point.
  * An interval (B - A) in system ticks.
  * The same interval (B - A) in milliseconds (it is rounded to the next mS boundary).
  * The absolute time is also shown in milliseconds but it cannot be obtained by system time, just a reference.

And this is what you see:

http://www.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.ph ... an_example

I like simple things, borderline stupid if possible.

Giovanni

JSStabl

Postby JSStabl » Fri May 15, 2020 11:12 am

I believe there is a latex interpreter that supports Markdown. So we could basically use latex for the framework (page numbers etc) and then just link the markdown pages for the actual content.

For the web side: You might wanna have a look at github wiki. That supports Markdown and provides the framework as well. Never used it, but seen it used on other projects. Another alternative i've seen frequently is https://readthedocs.org

While I'm at it we might consider adding a slack or discord team for chibiOS that would maybe make chatting about stuff in a less rigid way easier :)

Return to “Development and Feedback”