[PROBLEM] Dead PC...

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Giovanni
Site Admin

[PROBLEM] Dead PC...

Postby Giovanni » Wed May 06, 2020 6:34 pm

It just happened, a normal reboot and now it does not go past the initial screen, it does not even enter the BIOS menu.

I am unable to complete the release of ChibiStudio for Linux and various other things until it is repaired... I don't have everything on this laptop.

Giovanni

alex31

Re: [PROBLEM] Dead PC...

Postby alex31 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:27 am

hope you had backup :-(

I wish you good luck with the repair !

Alexandre

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Thu May 07, 2020 1:12 pm

All ChibiOS related things are versioned so no problems. Some personal things are at risk if the SSD failed (and I don't think it failed).

Anyway, it is backup time for everything now :)

Giovanni

wurstnase

Postby wurstnase » Thu May 07, 2020 10:11 pm

I can feel with you. My laptop just died also.
No booting, no bios. So bad. :(
\o/ Nico

psavr

Postby psavr » Fri May 08, 2020 8:23 am

I heard about a bad and nasty Virus is going around: Corona? :?

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sat May 09, 2020 2:01 pm

New power supply, new fans and it is back to work. Now backing up everything I could not stand losing my vintage photo collection of old Salerno....

Giovanni

alex31

Postby alex31 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:35 pm

welcome back PC :-)

NAS are now inexpensive, i have bought an used 5 bay raid NAS for few bucks, and I use rsnapshot for my (and my wife) backups, it's rough, minimal, use unix intrinsics like crontabs and hardlinks.

if a disk begin to fail, the hotspare disk take the relay, the nas send me an email, internal NAS software rebuild the array and I change the faulty drive with a new one which become the new hot spare, all of that without operation interruption.

The price you have to pay, is that your 5 disks NAS has only the capacity of three disks.

But to everybody : do not ask yourself if your main disk will break, but when it will break, so backup everything :-)

Alexandre

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sun May 10, 2020 5:20 am

I need to buy one of those NAS too, it would be nice to have something running a Linux instance so I can use rsync and also have a subversion server at home.

Giovanni

steved

Postby steved » Sun May 10, 2020 9:21 am

You don't need performance for a backup server, so I stick a miniITX motherboard and a couple of drives in a small case - "headless" Linux and software RAID1 (so you're not reliant on how the motherboard manages the RAID if something breaks). Low power, so cheap to run. We get mains dropouts, so I choose motherboards which run off 12 or 24 volts, and hook them up to a battery backed supply.

alex31

Postby alex31 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:04 pm

Giovanni wrote:I need to buy one of those NAS too, it would be nice to have something running a Linux instance so I can use rsync and also have a subversion server at home.

Giovanni

I have a synology DS1511+, it's gnu/linux based and you can add synology maintained package, svn is part of the free offer. You can even add third party package from the entware ecosystem. I don't know other brands like QNAP, but they are probably linux based too.

Before that, i had a dedicated pc to do the job, but NAS are more robust, they are built to last, hard disk and electronic are under temperature control, and it's very easy to maintain : there is nothing to do, NAS autoload update and apply them when there is no client connected.
When disk fault, there is nothing to dismount, they are in a bay that can be extracted without tools and without stopping the device.

And yes, they should be powered from an UPS, i have link my UPS and NAS with usb cable and the NAS immediately recognise the UPS and is programmed to shutdown properly when battery goes below 30%. You can do the same with a debian based dedicated PC, but you will have to fight a little bit with configuration files.

Return to “Development and Feedback”