v16 --> v17 --> v18 migration guide

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Spym

v16 --> v17 --> v18 migration guide

Postby Spym » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:24 pm

So I am migrating my application (fairly large, close to 100k LoC) from ChibiOS/RT 16 to ChibiOS/RT 18. Is there any write-up on the subject of porting from one version to a newer one? So far the only helpful resource I could find is the change log. Should I just stick to it?

The best documentation for ChibiOS that I know of is its source code (quite well-written I might add), but this form of documenting things lacks abstraction. The wiki and the articles seem quite dated. Perhaps there is some other place to look up documentation at that I don't know about?

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: v16 --> v17 --> v18 migration guide

Postby Giovanni » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi,

Last migration guide was from 2.6 to 3.0, the differences were significant during that transition,

Versions from 16 onward are almost stable as API, if you hit a difference then you would get a compile error. In general, if an API maintains the same name then the behavior is the same.

Changes are normally listed in the change log, if you read something about something you use then focus there. If in doubt about something just post here.

Edit: Make sure to take configuration files and Makefile from the version you are migrating too, this is the most important point.
Edit2: I will make an article with generic migration suggestions, this could help.

Giovanni

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 am

Hi,

New article here: http://chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id ... te_chibios

Suggestions?

Giovanni

Spym

Postby Spym » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Thank you, this is helpful. However, it would be even better if there was something like a changelog on steroids for every new release, explaining what exactly to look out for and such. Like this: http://wiki.ros.org/kinetic/Migration

avrhack

Postby avrhack » Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 pm

I second this. My biggest issue is not changes in the API - as Giovanni says they are relatively stable and in any event compiler errors help a lot.

The absolute killer for me is the build system - I have many, many projects with Makefiles based on v16 and they simply don't work with the v18 code based checked out so it looks like a complete re-write which is utterly painful.

Some documentation on that would be much appreciated as, being very frank, I just can't face the nightmare it's causing at the moment......

steved

Postby steved » Wed May 16, 2018 9:38 pm

avrhack wrote:The absolute killer for me is the build system - I have many, many projects with Makefiles based on v16 and they simply don't work with the v18 code based checked out so it looks like a complete re-write which is utterly painful.

I haven't run v18 yet, but for v16 to v17 I just compared my makefile with that from the nearest v18 sample project - it was usually pretty obvious what needed changing.

(My main issue with migrating is checking that various non-standard drivers still work OK - usually not a problem, but still has to be checked)

wurstnase

Postby wurstnase » Wed May 23, 2018 1:46 pm

The only thing I've seen with immigrating from <v18 for drivers is the (size_t)0 for the VMT. I'm pretty new to ChibiOS, so maybe there are others.
I'm using the chprintf to print stuff on my display, by implementing a put function. So my driver needs now also the (size_t)0 on top of the struct.

What is the reason for the (size_t)0?
\o/ Nico

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Wed May 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi,

It is the offset between the VMT address and the base of the containing object, it is required by a new multiple inheritance mechanism that allows objects to present multiple interfaces.

When there is a single interface then the offset is always zero.

Giovanni

Return to “Development and Feedback”