Trouble porting C++ code, MemoryPools

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Tinkerer

Trouble porting C++ code, MemoryPools

Postby Tinkerer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Dear reader,

I'm trying to port an application that was originally written for mbed (https://os.mbed.com/teams/Xsens/code/MTi-1_example/file/cb7fbf7821b5/main.cpp/). This application uses MemoryPools and Queues, as far as I understand from the documentation the queues of mbed resemble a lot the mailboxes of ChibiOS. In order to be able to re-use most of the original code, I tried to refactor the code to ChibiOS. One of the things that I did is this (create MemoryPool for one message):

Code: Select all

MemoryPool g_messagePool((size_t)(sizeof(XbusMessage)), NULL);

However, I get compiler errors:

arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -mcpu=cortex-m4 -O2 -ggdb -fomit-frame-pointer -falign-functions=16 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-common -flto -fno-rtti -Wall -Wextra -Wundef -Wa,-alms=build/lst/xbus_thread.lst -DCORTEX_USE_FPU=FALSE  -DTHUMB_PRESENT -mno-thumb-interwork -DTHUMB_NO_INTERWORKING -MD -MP -MF .dep/xbus_thread.o.d -mthumb -DTHUMB -I. -I../../chibios176/os/license -I../../chibios176/os/common/startup/ARMCMx/compilers/GCC -I../../chibios176/os/common/startup/ARMCMx/devices/STM32F3xx -I../../chibios176/os/common/ext/CMSIS/include -I../../chibios176/os/common/ext/CMSIS/ST/STM32F3xx -I../../chibios176/os/rt/include -I../../chibios176/os/common/oslib/include -I../../chibios176/os/common/ports/ARMCMx -I../../chibios176/os/common/ports/ARMCMx/compilers/GCC -I../../chibios176/os/hal/osal/rt -I../../chibios176/os/hal/include -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/common/ARMCMx -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/STM32F3xx -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/ADCv3 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/CANv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/DACv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/DMAv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/EXTIv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/GPIOv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/I2Cv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/RTCv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/SPIv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/TIMv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/USARTv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/USBv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/xWDGv1 -I./boards/SensorSlave -I../../chibios176/test/lib -I../../chibios176/test/rt/source/test -I./Ecat/Inc -I./Xsens/Inc -I../../chibios176/os/various/cpp_wrappers -I../../chibios176/os/hal/lib/streams -I../../chibios176/os/various ./Xsens/Src/xbus_thread.cpp -o build/obj/xbus_thread.o
arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -mcpu=cortex-m4 -O2 -ggdb -fomit-frame-pointer -falign-functions=16 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-common -flto -fno-rtti -Wall -Wextra -Wundef -Wa,-alms=build/lst/main.lst -DCORTEX_USE_FPU=FALSE  -DTHUMB_PRESENT -mno-thumb-interwork -DTHUMB_NO_INTERWORKING -MD -MP -MF .dep/main.o.d -mthumb -DTHUMB -I. -I../../chibios176/os/license -I../../chibios176/os/common/startup/ARMCMx/compilers/GCC -I../../chibios176/os/common/startup/ARMCMx/devices/STM32F3xx -I../../chibios176/os/common/ext/CMSIS/include -I../../chibios176/os/common/ext/CMSIS/ST/STM32F3xx -I../../chibios176/os/rt/include -I../../chibios176/os/common/oslib/include -I../../chibios176/os/common/ports/ARMCMx -I../../chibios176/os/common/ports/ARMCMx/compilers/GCC -I../../chibios176/os/hal/osal/rt -I../../chibios176/os/hal/include -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/common/ARMCMx -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/STM32F3xx -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/ADCv3 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/CANv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/DACv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/DMAv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/EXTIv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/GPIOv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/I2Cv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/RTCv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/SPIv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/TIMv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/USARTv2 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/USBv1 -I../../chibios176/os/hal/ports/STM32/LLD/xWDGv1 -I./boards/SensorSlave -I../../chibios176/test/lib -I../../chibios176/test/rt/source/test -I./Ecat/Inc -I./Xsens/Inc -I../../chibios176/os/various/cpp_wrappers -I../../chibios176/os/hal/lib/streams -I../../chibios176/os/various main.cpp -o build/obj/main.o
In file included from main.cpp:21:0:
./Xsens/Inc/xbus_thread.hpp:59:27: error: expected identifier before '(' token
                           ^
./Xsens/Inc/xbus_thread.hpp:59:35: error: expected ',' or '...' before '(' token
                                     ^

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The source is compiled using the C++ compiler, Eclipse can find the constructor,... What am I doing wrong?

Any suggestions? I could use the standard c interface, but I don't like giving up because of a non-understood compiler error.

edit:
I also get the error:

'((XbusThread*)this)->XbusThread::g_messageDataPool' does not have class type   xbus_thread.hpp   /RT-STM32F303R8-SensorSlave/Xsens/Inc   line 80   C/C++ Problem

Apparently the g_messageDataPool is not seen as a class, but as another type, I guess it is compiled as a `MemoryPool` struct, from the C library (http://chibios.sourceforge.net/html/struct_memory_pool.html). How do I tell the compiler that I want to call the constructor from the C++ library?

Tinkerer

Re: Trouble porting C++ code, MemoryPools

Postby Tinkerer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:20 am

OK, this was completely user error.

I tried to instantiate a new MemoryPool with initializing parameters in the public: section of the class. This is not how it's supposed to be, I needed to make a default constructor, and within that constructor the initialization of the MemoryPools.

If anyone else tries this and gets the same errors: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/849812/c-construction-of-an-object-inside-a-class <- this is where you can find an explanation how to do it correctly.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: Trouble porting C++ code, MemoryPools

Postby Giovanni » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks for explaining, I expected people more inside C++ to answer.

Giovanni

Return to “Development and Feedback”