Atmel Studio - new project from Makefile error (shell related) Topic is solved

ChibiOS public support forum for topics related to the Atmel AVR family of micro-controllers.

Moderators: utzig, tfAteba

Dolence

Atmel Studio - new project from Makefile error (shell related)

Postby Dolence » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:59 pm

I'm trying to create a new project from Makefile on Atmel Studio 7 using avr demo NIL-ARDUINO-UNO. This is the output:

Code: Select all

------ Build started: Project: NIL-ARDUINO-UNO, Configuration: Debug AVR ------
Build started.
Project "NIL-ARDUINO-UNO.cproj" (default targets):
Target "PreBuildEvent" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(PreBuildEvent)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').
Target "CoreBuild" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "F:\ChibiOS\demos\AVR\NIL-ARDUINO-UNO\NIL-ARDUINO-UNO.cproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
   Using "RunCompilerTask" task from assembly "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Extensions\Application\AvrGCC.dll".
   Task "RunCompilerTask"
      Shell Utils Path C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils\make.exe -C "F:\ChibiOS\demos\AVR\NIL-ARDUINO-UNO" -f "Makefile" all
      make: Entering directory 'F:/ChibiOS/demos/AVR/NIL-ARDUINO-UNO'
      O sistema não pode encontrar o caminho especificado.
      O sistema não pode encontrar o caminho especificado.
      ECHO está desativado.
      -------- begin --------
      avr-gcc (AVR_8_bit_GNU_Toolchain_3.6.0_1734) 5.4.0
      Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
      This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
      warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
      -f foi inesperado neste momento.
F:\ChibiOS\demos\AVR\NIL-ARDUINO-UNO\Makefile(397,1): error: recipe for target 'sizebefore' failed
      make: *** [sizebefore] Error 255
      make: Leaving directory 'F:/ChibiOS/demos/AVR/NIL-ARDUINO-UNO'
   Done executing task "RunCompilerTask" -- FAILED.
Done building target "CoreBuild" in project "NIL-ARDUINO-UNO.cproj" -- FAILED.
Done building project "NIL-ARDUINO-UNO.cproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

"O sistema não pode encontrar o caminho especificado." means "The system cannot find the path specified." and "ECHO está desativado." is "ECHO is off."

Error:

Code: Select all

Severity   Code   Description   Project   File   Line
Error      recipe for target 'sizebefore' failed   NIL-ARDUINO-UNO   F:\ChibiOS\demos\AVR\NIL-ARDUINO-UNO\Makefile   397

Any thoughts on how to solve this? Thanks!

utzig

Re: Atmel Studio - new project from Makefile error (shell related)

Postby utzig » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:47 pm

the sizebefore target uses a unix shell command, not sure how well (if at all) that would work on Windows. Apart from that, it would be a good idea to run with some debugging to see what's not being found in those two "path not found" issues.

MGeo

Postby MGeo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:08 am

Hi Dolence,

Not sure if you are still around but I'll reply in case others run into the same question.

You must be on Windows if you are using Atmel Studio. You need to have avr8-gnu-toolchain bin folder in your path so that makefile shell commands can be found. You should be using makefile build option in AS (looks like you are). You can test if make works from a DOS command line. If you can't build from there, it will not work in AS either.

NIL-ARDUINO-UNO builds successfully for me on Win 10 laptop with bin folder in path, my toolchain was downloaded from here http://www.atmel.com/tools/atmelavrtool ... ndows.aspx. Alternately you can put the toolchain from AS in your path (something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin) but I prefer the standalone for versioning reason.

George

vctrvlad

Postby vctrvlad » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi, I would like to start a project with AVR (I am starting with 32, might change it later on, larger will be needed).

I have a debugger and a STK500 dev board, and would I like to work with AtmelStudio7.

Can anyone please give me some hints about what should I do in irder to integrate ChibiOS in this setup?

Thank you,
Victor

tfAteba

Postby tfAteba » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi vctrvlad,

I hope that you will have your answer, for me I did not have any experience with running ChibiOS under Atmel studio7.
I work under Linux distribution with just a Makefile and text editor (Vim).

If you are under Windows, you can try ChibiOS studio
If you are under Linux like me I can help if you don't want any IDE.
regards,

Theo.

MGeo

Postby MGeo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:14 am

vctrvlad wrote:I am starting with 32

Hi Victor,

You are starting with 32 what? Does this mean an ATMega32? Also, what hardware are you using for a debugger?

I shared Windows toolchain instructions above. This is after installing Atmel Studio 7. You set up a new project within AS7 and specify Makefile build in Project Settings.

Where are you running into trouble?

George

vctrvlad

Postby vctrvlad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:41 am

@tfAteba thank you very much for your help, but I am using AtmelStudio.
I have an STK500 board, and an JtagICE MKII debugger, and I would like to spend my time playing with chibiOS rather than trying to make my tools work under linux. Anyways, hat off, I always envy ppl that only use text editor and make, but I don't have the required talent for that.

@MGeo, yes, sorry for that, I am using ATmega32 for now, and I want to learn ChibiOS by acomplishing small things, because I plan to start spining some bldcs later on, most probably with something else than AVR, but for learning, I have all the required tools for AVR.

I am actually not stuck anywere, I was just looking for pointers to start from as what is needed for chibiOS to run on my AVR, and where to start from...

Regards,
Victor

vctrvlad

Postby vctrvlad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:48 pm

MGeo wrote:I shared Windows toolchain instructions above. This is after installing Atmel Studio 7. You set up a new project within AS7 and specify Makefile build in Project Settings.

I am quite familiar with AtmelStudio and the HW tools, but what is not clear for me is what is the fixed part of the ChibiOS, and what is the HW dependent.
I imagined that HAL would be HW dependent, but what more? Port? I can see that HAL is just below the Application laer, but above the Kernel layer, under which Port resides. Is it a clean horizontal layer separation or there are also vertical bits that have to be worked out?

Regards,
Victor

MGeo

Postby MGeo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:13 am

The HAL pretty much isolates the hardware specific bits. The other processor specific bits are in the configuration files for halconf, mcuconf. Chibi config settings are somewhat dependent on processor capabilities as well. You need to be aware that AVR HAL and test suite are still under development, as is the test suite.

vctrvlad

Postby vctrvlad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 pm

MGeo wrote: Chibi config settings are somewhat dependent on processor capabilities as well. You need to be aware that AVR HAL and test suite are still under development, as is the test suite.

Ok, no problem, I am looking forward to learn it while still fresh on this architecture since is the most accessible one for me...

And I am willig to contribute as well if there is need for help, but please, help me out geting this started.
My problem is that I took 17.6 preview of ChibiStudio, but I can see a lot of projects in the "solution explorrer".

I would like to strip it down to what is mandatory for my AVR only, and in the AVR section, I cann only find Arduino versions.

I know Arduino Leonardo has an Atmega32, so I think this would be my best shoot for this purpose.

Return to “AVR Support”