STM32F429I-discovery support status?

ChibiOS public support forum for topics related to the STMicroelectronics STM32 family of micro-controllers.

Moderators: RoccoMarco, barthess

baptistes

STM32F429I-discovery support status?

Postby baptistes » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:04 pm

Hello,

I really like ChibiOS-RT, especially its nice and clean build system. I would like to use it instead of FreeRTOS but I'm not sure about the status of STM32F429I-discovery support, especially LCD and touch support.

I have read discussions taking place here and I understand there was some work on it but can't find any working examples like e.g. https://github.com/winfred-lu/stm32f429-freertos800 which has a working uGFX notepad on FreeRTOS.

I have found only https://github.com/ChibiOS/ChibiOS-RT-C ... VERY-DMA2D which, if I understand well, demonstrate only displaying bitmaps - no advanced graphics, no touch.

So my questions are:
1. is it possible to use ugfx on ChibiOS-RT with STM32F429I-discovery and develop a more complex things like a ugfx notepad?
2. if not, is it possible to use some other graphics library than ugfx?
3. if there is any chance, are there any working examples?

Thank you very much for your work and for any advices/hints. If I'm totally wrong, please be patient with me - I'm just a hobbyist with a little knowledge about embedded systems :)

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: STM32F429I-discovery support status?

Postby Giovanni » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi,

1) uGFX supports ChibiOS so the difference is only in the RTOS.
2) Not needed, we recommend uGFX.
3) If you ask in the uGFX forum you will get lots of examples, uGFX was developed mainly using ChibiOS and only recently it added FreeRTOS.

Giovanni

mobyfab

Postby mobyfab » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:50 pm

1 - The primary OS for use with uGFX IS ChibiOS, and it works with any OS anyway, so yes of course.
2 - Does not apply
3 - I don't think so, but you can use the notepad example, use ST's TFT/DMA2D driver to setup the display and use uGFX's framebuffer driver.

Edit: Giovanni, you beat me :mrgreen:

baptistes

Postby baptistes » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:54 pm

Thank you very much. I will ask in the ugfx forum then. I wasn't sure if it's more a matter of RTOS or a graphics library.

P.S. you have my admire for your work on ChibiOS, it's really neat and nice as far as I can tell :)

TexZK

Postby TexZK » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:50 pm

mobyfab wrote:3 - I don't think so, but you can use the notepad example, use ST's TFT/DMA2D driver to setup the display and use uGFX's framebuffer driver.

ST's drivers aren't user-friendly at all, because you need to know that some configuration values must match the low-level register mapping; for example, you have to add some bias to some settings because of front-/back-porch and such things, which are counter-intuitive.

The demo OP has found can still be used to setup the display and display graphics, as configuration values and semantics are what the user expects, and not what low-level registers expect.
uGFX can be useful for more advanced stuff.

baptistes

Postby baptistes » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:00 am

Hi TexZK!

I have read your post about your work on STM32F429 support and if I understand it well (from your github page), it was merged into https://github.com/ChibiOS/ChibiOS-RT-Community

Don't you have any examples for this board you can share? I understand you stated you don't work on uGFX support but do you have any other examples of LCD usage on STM32F429? I would like to at least display some messages on the LCD and let user click on two or three buttons...

I've seen demos/ARMCM4-STM32F429-DISCOVERY-DMA2D but it's really minimal... :)

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:37 pm

The STM32F429i-Discovery board is now supported by the uGFX library. It is already in the repository (newmouse branch!) and it will of course be part of the upcoming release in a week or two. The board support comes with a ready-to-run demo for ChibiOS/RT.

~ Tectu

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 am

Update: It's part of the master now, everything is fully functional: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2309

~ Tectu

Return to “STM32 Support”