[INFO] Sourceforge ChibiOS project being updated

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: [INFO] Sourceforge ChibiOS project being updated

Postby Giovanni » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi,

Already tried it, it conflicts with Tortoise SVN and corrupts the Windows desktop icons when used together.

Giovanni

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:13 pm

I totally agree with utzig. TortoiseGIT is maybe the best git tool for windows and since you know TortoiseSVN, this should just be perfect for you.

I don't know about any problems caused by having installed both at the same time?

~ Tectu

theShed

Postby theShed » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Take a look at the way OpenOCD is managed:

Anyone can propose a patch by submitting it to Gerrit.
Jenkins does a first pass check making sure it meets the basic coding standard and will actually compile.
The patch is open for anyone to comment on and approve/reject.
The author may ammend the patch in response to comments until everyone is happy at which point the maintainer(s) merge the patch into the mainline tree.

The advantages of this are: first, all patches are *automatically* checked for compile errors on many different platforms and, the main one, no change makes it on to the mainline without someone else approving it.

Of course there is nothing to prevent a maintainer submitting a patch and immediately merging. :o

--
mike

steved

Postby steved » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Giovanni wrote:Hi,
Already tried it, it conflicts with Tortoise SVN and corrupts the Windows desktop icons when used together.
Giovanni

I've ended up using both SVN and Git (and CVS!), and while they do 'visually' clash when installed on the same machine, they do still all work.

As someone who doesn't use version control systems much, I found the git client very unfriendly, and wanting me to enter command-line commands at the slightest provocation. I managed to at least partially break the repository relatively frequently! Tortoisegit is much better in that respect. However, I suspect the 'power' of git adds to its complication - I'm involved with an open souce project with multiple developers, and find that life has become much more confusing for me since the project moved to git. Possibly down to lack of familiarity. Overall, I find SVN much, much, more user friendly. But I can see the potential advantages of pushes and pulls and gists and so on if people trouble to use them. Git definitely has a longer learning curve than SVN.

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:24 am

Git has many benefits over SVN though it might be slightly more complicated to use it. But you should just get used to its workflow.
The main benefit of using git is local branches, lightweight remote branches and also local history.
There are other handy things about git which help in a real life(stash, rebase, bisect, etc.). Also you get rid of those nasty .svn in all directories of the project. And of course one of the best things is that when you commit your changes are immediately published. That's really good as you may want to do several commits during development and probably squash them before publishing.
If you think that GIT is too complicated you might try mercurial(hg).

Now as I know how to use git you really have to force me to use svn. The company I'm working on switch to GIT several years ago and everybody's happy.

PS. I'm a command line person so I don't know whether there is the problem with tortoiseGit and tortoiseSvn. If they can't work together you might want to ask the company to fix that...

steved

Postby steved » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 am

Dmytro wrote:PS. I'm a command line person so I don't know whether there is the problem with tortoiseGit and tortoiseSvn.

They do work together - you potentially lose some of the pretty 'status' icons against files in Windoze explorer, which is a Windows constraint (one of the Tortoise sites does explain it).

mabl

Postby mabl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:11 am

Hey Guys,

sorry for my absence - I've quite busy these days with university. Tectu just hinted me to this thread - I'll fix the mirrors today.

Regarding git: I'd love to see Feature branches, submodules and true commit messages used with ChibiOS :-D

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:15 am

mabl wrote:Regarding git: I'd love to see Feature branches, submodules and true commit messages used with ChibiOS :-D

How could I do anything else but agree?

~ Tectu

mabl

Postby mabl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:44 am

The mirrors are up and running again. :mrgreen:

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 am

Hi Mabl,

Glad to see you back. Gerrit would be nice but about git, I did try but apparently I am unable to like it.

Giovanni

Return to “Development and Feedback”