Em::Blocks project template

This forum is about you. Feel free to discuss anything is related to embedded and electronics, your awesome projects, your ideas, your announcements, not necessarily related to ChibiOS but to embedded in general. This forum is NOT for support.
Chudik

Re: Em::Blocks project template

Postby Chudik » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:24 am

Giovanni wrote:No doubt is very nice, I just wish it supported also a makefile-mode like Eclipse does, that would make adoption easier. You cannot just assume that new users just switch to a different way to work immediately.

I think if you tell to the emwork author your wish he might consider it :)
And he also is working on v 3.0 now. It would be interesting to have both your new versions simultaneously :)

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:33 am

I am sure he knows :)

Giovanni

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:36 pm

I had a lot of contact to the Em::Blocks author and he's more of aware of my and Giovannis wish to have the Makefile support. But it won't happen soon.
At least he added the ChibiOS/RT Project wizard and debugging capabilities :)

The missing makefile support really is the only reason why I don't use it myself.

~ Tectu

Chudik

Postby Chudik » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:03 am

Just in case
In thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2386&p=19301#p19301 I put a project that includes basic template from here (actually by emblocks, but they are almost same) + simple shell + Console server by Giovanni. May be it is not perfect, but it works :)

Tectu wrote:I had a lot of contact to the Em::Blocks author

Could you ask him when the broken blacklist service on his forum will be fixed or replaced? I know he is aware about this, but I still can't register over there. :(
(Giovanni is thinking now that may be it is not really broken... :D )

Tectu, is there any chance that you could create a template based on ChibiOS v 3.0 /RT & /nil
I tried to transfer my project working with v.2.6.6 into v.3.0 and got full fiasco...

EmBlocks

Postby EmBlocks » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Tectu wrote:I had a lot of contact to the Em::Blocks author and he's more of aware of my and Giovannis wish to have the Makefile support. But it won't happen soon.

No, I'm not!

If I knew then I would told you that it already can use external makefiles and that a lot of people are using it this way.

Capture.PNG
Makefile options
Capture.PNG (44.29 KiB) Viewed 2358 times

and if you have chosen the make file option, you will get new build options like this:

Capture2.PNG
Make options
Capture2.PNG (30.38 KiB) Viewed 2353 times

If you use external makefiles with EmBlocks 2.30 please update the compiler DLL because of some bug fixes.

http://www.emblocks.org/forum/viewtopic ... t=10#p3150

So, no it won't happen soon because it is already there (right from the start).

BTW
- It also supports batch build from command line.
- The blacklist problem is solved

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Hello Gerard!

I am very ashamed and confused at the same time. Since when is this feature there? If this feature works nicely I will totally move to Em::Blocks to do 100% of my embedded development. Therefore I will provide a ton of ChibiOS/RT + uGFX examples and demo projects within the following weeks.

~ Tectu

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Is there also a inclusion directories "discover" function like Eclipse? Eclipse does that by parsing the output log searching for "-I<path>".

Probably that is the only thing required if makefiles are already supported.

Giovanni

Chudik

Postby Chudik » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Tectu wrote: I will provide a ton of ChibiOS/RT + uGFX examples and demo projects within the following weeks.

That would be great!!! I hope there will be projects for ChibiOS v.3.0 too.

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Chudik wrote:That would be great!!! I hope there will be projects for ChibiOS v.3.0 too.

Anything special you would like to see? I have most of the common ST & Olimex boards here.

~ Tectu

Chudik

Postby Chudik » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Tectu wrote:Anything special you would like to see?

Wow!!! Special for me?!!! :D
I don't think there should be anything special. Even just simple blinking example is a good start.
However, here what I think might be very useful for every newbie (including me :))

• Simple blinking.
  • Console server that includes "Blinking" + shell + output text to serial interface in synchronous manner. With Giovanni's code I was able to create this type off application as a part of my project. Will be happy, if you find it useful and clean it to more correct way. Since I'm a newbie in Chibi my code is not perfect.
  • The board button polling with changing blinking period, for example. I believe it will require debouncing processing.
  • The board button interrupt processing with same result
  • Sane with sleeping/standby mode for minimizing power consumption.
  • Same for RT and nil. The "nil" mode is very interesting for devices with short memory like STM32L0 - fully static threads might be enough for a lot of projects. I have Discovery L053 board with eInk display, it is great, but not for basics learning curve, because the display controlled by a second STM32L152. If you Discovery board has its display connected directly to the chip - interface to the display example will bу very useful.
    I use another one on my own board with OLED display and 3 buttons connected to SPI of my Nucleo board. Used LCD3310 interface example as a template. Will be happy to share this part of the code, but it is not finished yet.
  • Examples of using all peripherals (SPI is already shown for display): ADC, DAC, PWM from timers....

Ideally - to have a set of examples like TI has for its processors, but it is a lot of work made by their employees sitting on salaries. I'm not sure the ChibiOS/EM::Blocks community can do the same, but if you make this start it will be great. I saw people share their projects in here. With some coordination from experienced man like you we can have a good set of projects that could be used by next newbies :-)

Return to “User Projects”