Improvement on new interval system Topic is solved

Use this forum for requesting small changes in ChibiOS. Large changes should be discussed in the development forum. This forum is NOT for support.
Thargon

Improvement on new interval system  Topic is solved

Postby Thargon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi,

I just had a closer look at the new interval system of the 18.2 release. I can not see the reason, why CH_CFG_TIME_TYPES_SIZE is limited to 16 and 32 bit size, though. Of course, there is the risk of overflows in the conversion functions so that 'time_conv_t' has always double the size than the other types, but is is implemented in a very pessimistic way. I would like to see the possibility to set CH_CFG_TIME_TYPES_SIZE to 64, as there is plenty of headroom (depending on other settings) before overflows may occur.

The worst case appears to be in the US2I conversion functions:

Code: Select all

#define TIME_US2I(usecs)                                                    \
  ((sysinterval_t)((((time_conv_t)(usecs) *                                 \
                     (time_conv_t)CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY) +                    \
                    (time_conv_t)999999) / (time_conv_t)1000000))

The critical section here is

(((time_conv_t)(usecs) * (time_conv_t)CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY) + (time_conv_t)999999)

as the result of this calculation must fit into 'time_conv_t'.

Consequently, the maximum value of 'usecs' can be calculated as

usecs <= ((time_conv_t)-1 - 999999) / (time_conv_t)CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY

Now let's assume 64 bit width of 'time_conv_t' and a very high setting of CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY:

chconf.h

// 1us resolution
#define CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY 1000000

This results in

usecs <= ((time_conv_t)-1 - 999999) / (time_conv_t)CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY
       = (2^64-1 - 999999) / 1000000
       = 1.84E13

As you can see the result is much bigger than 2^32 (4.29E9) and would be even higher for smaller CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY.

I would propose a solution where CH_CFG_TIME_TYPES_SIZE can be set to 64, but the secure time conversion functions check the argument for this maximum value, i.e.

chDbgAssert(usecs <= ((time_conv_t)-1 - (time_conv_t)999999) / (time_conv_t)CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY);

Best regards,
Thomas

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: Improvement on new interval system

Postby Giovanni » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi,

The time_conv_t type is meant to avoid those overflows this is why uint64_t is not supported for time, it would require a 128bits type for time_conv_t.

Giovanni

Thargon

Re: Improvement on new interval system

Postby Thargon » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:14 am

Hi,

in general you are completely right and I support your opinion. But in practice we are on a scale where overflows will only occur in rare cases as I mentioned at the end of my post. As I showed, given a 64 bit wide time_conv_t and a CH_CFG_ST_FREQUENCY of 1 MHz, you can still safely calculate timeframes of up to 213.5 days! If you reduce the system tick frequency, this number increases, of course.

However, since the sysinterval_t can not be wider than 32 bit, the maximum timeframe that can be represented (given the 1 MHz frequency) is merely 0.05 days (71.4 minutes), which is quite a waste, imo.

In order to prevent overflows as you mentioned, I already proposed a solution in my original post, by adding an additional assert to the convertion functions. You could just check if the width of sysinterval_t is greater or equal to the width of time_conv_t to enable this assert.

There is nothing that will make ChibiOS unsafe or whatsoever, but this feature would further increase system flexibility.

Thomas

Return to “Small Change Requests”