Digital pressure sensor Driver

Discussions and support about ChibiOS/EX, the External Peripherals Abstraction Layer.
tfAteba

Re: Digital pressure sensor Driver

Postby tfAteba » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Hi RM,

I hope you are fine?

I was busy last two weekend but now I have some time so I'm going to work on my driver :mrgreen: .

I just finished to implement the driver with your last modifications on the Barometer and Thermometer classes. So I add to the driver the following methods (set_bias, reset_bias, set_sensitivity, reset_sensitivity).

The BMP085 don't give us a way to manage either the bias or the sensitivity that why I didn't use those methods in my first iteration. According to the BMP085 data-sheet, we just need to read calibration data and use them to cook pressure and temperature.

Now I already add the all those methods but their implementation have no effect, I just check the driver state and return an error message.

Is it the right way to do or is there a better way because this sensor don't really those methods?

I will make these edits in the next 48h. I suggest you to take a look to new version of device driver before to develop your own driver.

If I’m right you didn't finish your new version of the device driver? or can I take a look to what you did in the l3gd20 device driver?

regards

Theo.

RoccoMarco

Postby RoccoMarco » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:07 am

Hi Theo,
this week I am very busy so I will reply rarely and my replies will not be enough exhaustive.
The BMP085 don't give us a way to manage either the bias or the sensitivity that why I didn't use those methods in my first iteration. According to the BMP085 data-sheet, we just need to read calibration data and use them to cook pressure and temperature.

Now I already add the all those methods but their implementation have no effect, I just check the driver state and return an error message.

Is it the right way to do or is there a better way because this sensor don't really those methods?

I haven't an answer on that because I never used a pressure sensor and talking with bartess (if I remember well) I figured out this mems is quite different from others. I will implement a driver using a sensor by ST which is on an x-Nucleo and after that I will have more precise answer.

I am sorry if I cannot provide a precise guideline at this point but this is something new to me too. I can guarantee which we will improve in time.
Ciao,
RM

steved

Postby steved » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:55 am

Giovanni wrote:It is interesting and it is what some other OSes do, see ioctl() from Posix however I don't see clear advantages in it and there are some disadvantages.
Giovanni

As you say, advantages and disadvantages. I've found this approach very useful on occasion - for example, generating a list of items to display.
Perhaps more to the point, where I haven't used this approach, I've often ended up regretting it!

tfAteba

Postby tfAteba » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi all,

RM, I just finish to update the BMP085 driver according your last update in trunk. Sorry I didn't have time before to work on it this last month.
For me it look good now.
Any one who can try the driver is welcome. I will be happy to have a feedback :) .

Best regards,

Theo.
Attachments
02-bmp085-patch.zip
BMP085 driver and demo implementation.
(16.46 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
regards,

Theo.

tfAteba

Postby tfAteba » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi all,

Rocco Marco, can you please tell me if you have time to try the driver for the pressure sensor?
I would like to know if there is something to improve.

Regards,

Theodore Ateba
regards,

Theo.

RoccoMarco

Postby RoccoMarco » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:38 am

Dear Theo,
I can take a look to the code but I cannot try it since I haven't the related hardware. By the way, I will accomplish this task by the end of this month. I am sorry for these long deadlines but currently I am overcome by a big number of tasks. Even more I will have a short vacation starting from tomorrow 'till August the 15th
Ciao,
RM

tfAteba

Postby tfAteba » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:32 pm

I will be happy to have your feedback even if you just read the driver implementation and the given demo and don't do a test.

I hope also to have feedback from other members.

Have a nice vacation.
regards,

Theo.

tfAteba

Postby tfAteba » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi all,

The driver has been downloaded seven time :) so any remarks or suggestion?
regards,

Theo.

RoccoMarco

Postby RoccoMarco » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi Theo,
I have downloaded it a couple of time but still not opened since I have been busy. BTW I have decided to write a driver for a barometer from ST: this way I could understand something more about barometers.
Ciao,
RM

RoccoMarco

Postby RoccoMarco » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Hey Theo,
is there a shield or something like this for the sensor you are supporting?
Ciao,
RM

Return to “ChibiOS/EX”