-fsingle-precision-constant breaks C++ standard library Topic is solved

Report here problems in any of ChibiOS components. This forum is NOT for support.
Spym

-fsingle-precision-constant breaks C++ standard library  Topic is solved

Postby Spym » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:43 pm

This post is about GCC and C++.

The flag -fsingle-precision-constant is harmful and should be removed from the default build configuration.

1. Its use is incompatible with the C++ standard library shipped with GCC (fails to compile).
2. The application may still need to perform double-precision arithmetic even though it will be emulated in software (my application needs that).

If not removed completely, this flag should be made optional or disableable at the very least.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: -fsingle-precision-constant breaks C++ standard library

Postby Giovanni » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:44 pm

The problem is that the option is needed when the FPU is only able to handle single precision floats as far I know.

I will search more info.

Edit: It is explained here: https://www.embeddedrelated.com/showthr ... 6863-1.php

I will look into making it optional.

Giovanni

Spym

Postby Spym » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Giovanni wrote:The problem is that the option is needed when the FPU is only able to handle single precision floats as far I know.

No, it's not true, it's easy to check by disabling the option (it is disabled in my application) and checking the compiled code (it still uses the FPU for floating-point arithmetics). The only practical effect of this option (according to the documentation https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FloatingPointMath) is that the compiler will treat double-precision literals as single-precision literals. This is exactly the behavior that breaks the standard library.

From the documentation:

-fsingle-precision-constant causes floating-point constants to be loaded in single precision even when this is not exact. This avoids promoting operations on single precision variables to double precision like in x + 1.0/3.0. Note that this also uses single precision constants in operations on double precision variables. This can improve performance due to less memory traffic.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm

Improving performance is exactly the point, this is why it is there, in order to avoid unnecessary conversions.

Giovanni

Spym

Postby Spym » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Improving performance is great only as long as you don't break valid code :)

The developer can always achieve identical results by using the single-precision suffix "F", e.g. "3.14F". All high-integrity coding standards I know (MISRA, HIC++) require this anyway, in order to avoid unintended implicit type conversions.

faisal

Postby faisal » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:24 pm

I also think it should be defined by the user.

Fyi, some stm32f7s and the H7 I believe have hardware double float support... so there's that.

Spym

Postby Spym » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:28 pm

faisal wrote:Fyi, some stm32f7s and the H7 I believe have hardware double float support... so there's that.

This is correct. Cortex M7 implemented in upper STM32's supports hardware double precision floating point arighmetic.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:53 am

It has been removed from trunk and 18.2.x, anyway, you could have overridden it by using USE_FPU_OPT in you makefile. Demos for micros with double precision FPU did that already.

Giovanni

Return to “Bug Reports”