[INFO] Call for Maintainers and forum changes

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Giovanni
Site Admin

[INFO] Call for Maintainers and forum changes

Postby Giovanni » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Hello,

In the future the project structure and organization is going to change in an, hopefully, more rational way. This is necessary for long term sustainability of the project, I am beginning to be a bottleneck more than a development resource :)

In brief this is the idea: It is not realistic that I could maintain and support multiple families of micro controllers so I am going to focus on two families max. Of course I will continue to handle the Kernel, the portable HAL and to coordinate the general effort.

For the other existing or new families the following apply:
1) One or more maintainers will be appointed for each family.
2) If there is no maintainer then the code is frozen and maintained just for compatibility (which is how things have been going for a while in practice, so no changes...). I would just re-test the code before major releases.
3) New families will be added only if there is an active maintainer that will take care of the development process.

So far the situation is:
STM32 - Giovanni (barthess?, others?).
SPC5xx - Giovanni.
AT91SAM7xx - none (barthess?).
AVR - (I bet many could take this one).
LPC1xxx - none.
LPC2xxx - none.
MSP430 - none.
STM8L - none.
STM8S - none.

The maintainers will be in charge of:
1) Development of new drivers, new demos.
2) Integration of eventual contributions.
3) Creation of test applications (eg ./testhal).
4) Documentation (we will set up dedicated sections on the wiki for the various families.
5) Bug fixing (using the SF tracker already existent).
6) Releases. The releases will be asynchronous in respect of ChibiOS, any release shall just indicate a starting version of ChibiOS as compatibility. The files set shall be designed to overlap the ChibiOS files structure without conflicts. From users perspective nothing changes, same files tree.
7) Configuration management, existing families could be handled on the current repository but a migration on a dedicated github would be recommended. New families would start directly on github. The web site will link all the repositories.
8) Support (through a dedicated forum). This is perhaps the most important point, people expects answers and maintainers will have to be able to answer.

Of course this would be a medium/long term commitment, my question is: any takers? :) I cannot give specific reasons to do that but if you have stakes in a platform or just want to kill time it could be a good idea :)

I must specify that the platforms code will not be used for the commercial offering, only the Kernel and the Portable HAL will be offered. Device driver implementations will be made available as-is without any warranty, 100% pure unadulterated open source. Maintainers will get the whole credit for the platform code.

Suggestions are welcome, I don't plan to go ahead immediately with this plan, I have to build confidence about this first.

Giovanni

Tectu

Re: [INFO] Call for Maintainers and forum changes

Postby Tectu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:32 am

Hey Giovanni,

How does it look with Stellaris devices?
I'd be interested in this job. However, I never did a port like this and I don't know if I got the skills and knowledge to do such a thing.

~ Tectu

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 am

None applied, about skills and knowledge how could I comment? it could be a good way to develop those skills. It is not an easy endeavor for sure.

Giovanni

barthess

Postby barthess » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Giovanni wrote:AT91SAM7xx - none (barthess?).

Totally unsure. I was forced to work on this out of life cycle platform and write I2C driver for my needs. Currently I have no one dev board with such MCU to test code on it.
Giovanni wrote:STM32 - Giovanni (barthess?

I am "parent" I2C and RTC, so I must to perform problem fixes in them. And I have hardware to test this.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:53 am

OK, Barthess, knowing how you are interested in the latest technology I had doubt on that one. So you will be co-maintainer for the STM32, is that OK?

The other platforms are still not covered.

Giovanni

barthess

Postby barthess » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Giovanni wrote:So you will be co-maintainer for the STM32, is that OK?

Yes, it is.

utzig

Postby utzig » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi,

> 6) Releases. The releases will be asynchronous in respect of ChibiOS, any release shall just indicate a starting version of ChibiOS as compatibility. > The files set shall be designed to overlap the ChibiOS files structure without conflicts. From users perspective nothing changes, same files tree.

I'm not sure I understand this. Do you mean there could be different releases for STM32 and let's say LPC11xx?

To me this looks as such a bad idea that I really would like some explanation of the reasons behind it.

> 7) Configuration management, existing families could be handled on the current repository but a migration on a dedicated github would be
> recommended. New families would start directly on github. The web site will link all the repositories.

Same thing as before... I'm really not supportive of any kind of fragmentation of the project. I guess one acceptable compromisse would be to have a mainstream repository (currently the sourceforge svn repo) and synchronized "mirrors" with specific changes while "in development". When tested and stabilized they should move to upstream.

Not sure I understood those two points correctly but it would be nice if you could clarify and give some background/reasoning of the motivations.

Best regards,
Fabio Utzig

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi,

Some ports are so complex that are better handled asynchronously, some authors prefer to have their own repository too. If you want to keep the port inside the ChibiOS repository that would not be a problem, it is already there anyway.
Alternatively you may have your own repository and merge on the trunk when it is stable enough.

Giovanni

mobyfab

Postby mobyfab » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:24 am

Hi Giovanni,

If you want many people contributing to ChibiOS, I think switching to github would really really help :)
That way people can fork the project, make their changes and do a pull request when done, you'd just have to verify.
Also the branching on git is really nice for working on part of the code.

It also give more visibility and encourage other people to join the project :) (Looking their are lots of merges and forks shows there's lots of people contributing)

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 am

Hi,

Switching to github has been proposed several times in the past, I made an attempt at using git but it does not seem to fit my workflow (probably it is just me unable to adapt :)). Said that, several developers are using git for their own branches or sub projects.

Giovanni

Return to “Development and Feedback”