[PROPOSAL] Use the forum for bug tracking.

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Giovanni
Site Admin

[PROPOSAL] Use the forum for bug tracking.

Postby Giovanni » Mon May 18, 2020 7:24 am

Hi,

Right now the bug tracker is the only thing left on SF.

What about using the "bug reports" forum as a tracker? it would work this way:
- People post bugs in there or moderators move topics in there from other forums.
- The bug is acknowledged by adding [XXXX] before the title (starting from 2000 in order to not conflict with remaining bugs on SF).
- The topic is handled as usual.
- The bug is closed by marking it "done" as usual.
- Rejections would be as [XXXX][REJECTED | WORKSFORME | NOTABUG | ....].

Do you see any drawback with this? we do most of the discussion on the forum anyway.

Giovanni

steved

Re: [PROPOSAL] Use the forum for bug tracking.

Postby steved » Mon May 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Worth a try; personally I tend to forget the existence of the bugtracker anyway!

The main thing which will get lost is the "summary list", which I imagine you would maintain off-line anyway (and may already do so).

I wonder how easy it would be to add some extra fields to PHBB in that forum, to show some of the status information? That sort of thing used to be quite easy.

JSStabl

Postby JSStabl » Mon May 18, 2020 2:33 pm

One might also consider using a pre-built 3rd party bugtracker. They provide a lot of interesting metrics and useful tools a forum doesn't. Github Issues also provide a decent amount of features for this purpose. Lots of open source project use it as a bugtracker.

But I get the point, that the forum is the main exchange of information anyway.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Mon May 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Main problem is double registration, most people would post on the forum anyway. I need to check if there is some kind of forms interface for PHPBB.

I already installed several trackers for testing on chibiforge.org, bugzilla, mantis and others, but those would not fix that problem.

Giovanni

steved

Postby steved » Mon May 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Giovanni wrote:Main problem is double registration, most people would post on the forum anyway. I need to check if there is some kind of forms interface for PHPBB.

Some applications allow you to authorise through alternative means - I've come across it in the context of using things like OAuth or Facebook (please don't go there!). If your bugtracker of choice supports the concept of an external authorisation API, it shouldn't be too difficult to link it to PHPBB. Last time I looked username and salted password were stored in an SQL database. Main issue might be keeping everything secure.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Mon May 18, 2020 5:08 pm

I am sure applications could configured to use a single authentication, it is just not how I want to spend time :) there is also the security to be considered like you correctly stated.

No risk of facebook here until I live.

Giovanni

FXCoder

Postby FXCoder » Mon May 18, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi.
Seems a good idea.
The bleeding edge team at phpBB looks to be using JIRA FWIW.
Kimberley (who appears to do a lot of phpBB extensions) has a tracker that seems to be "almost" ready.

Yeah... stay as far away from CIABook et al, as you can :-)
--
Bob

FXCoder

Postby FXCoder » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 am

That should be kinerity not Kimberley :-)

aport

Postby aport » Mon May 25, 2020 2:23 am

Github Issues also provide a decent amount of features for this purpose. Lots of open source project use it as a bugtracker.

Main problem is double registration, most people would post on the forum anyway.

I'd be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of people with accounts on this forum also have Github accounts.
I'd also be willing to bet that the majority of people who use ChibiOS do so by cloning the read-only Github mirror. It's very popular, almost 400 stars and over 300 forks, and it's just a repository mirror!

Many people who use ChibiOS clone the Github mirror into their project as a submodule. This is a very nice workflow. See the Ardupilot project as an example of this.

FreeRTOS, ThreadX, NuttX, RT-Thread, Zephyr, RIOT, are all on Github and use it as their primary issue tracker.

Please note that I'm not recommending you switch the code itself to git. All that's needed is to allow people to submit issues on the official mirror repository.

Return to “Development and Feedback”