[NOTE] Ideas for RT 5 and/or NIL 3

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: [NOTE] Ideas for RT 5 and/or NIL 3

Postby Giovanni » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 am

Hi,

Small refactory of the mailboxes subsystem, added "Timeout" to the name of functions that have a timeout parameter for consistency, changed cnt_t in size_t.

Giovanni

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: [NOTE] Ideas for RT 5 and/or NIL 3

Postby Giovanni » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Small Update.

I made an important change to RT5:
  • Now virtual timers, sleep functions and timeouts are no more limited to the size of systime_t.
  • A new type sysinterval_t has been added and it can be larger than systime_t. This is what I called "large timers" in my initial post. Now systime_t is only meaningful for system time, intervals for everything else.
  • When sysinterval_t is larger than systime_t then the "tickless mode" becomes a "sporadic ticks mode", an interrupt is triggered each time the timer counter wraps. Now it is possible to use large delays AND high resolution using 16 bits timers. On STM32 this means you can use a more common timer and save your precious 32 bits TIM2.
  • New functions and types have been added for seconds, milliseconds and microseconds.
  • Functions for adding/subtracting times and intervals have been added.

The whole thing has been discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4265

API signatures changed quite a bit because the new types. the whole thing is under https://svn.code.sf.net/p/chibios/svn/b ... dev_point1 and is VERY experimental.

NIL, HAL and OSAL will be adapted to the new conventions.

Giovanni

Return to “Development and Feedback”