WIN32 Simulator Improvement

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Alessandro

WIN32 Simulator Improvement

Postby Alessandro » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi,

analyzing the code to simulate ChibiOS under Win32, I found that the biggest difference between embedded execution and simulated execution is the way it makes the context switch (CS).
In embedded execution CS is driven by an interrupt, instead in simulated execution CS is done into Idle thread.
In order to simulate better the embedded execution, I've thought about a timer in a windows thread connected to a callback function, called every 10 ms.
I use this callback function to generate the system tick, CS, and to process serial messages from console. It's simply an interrupt simulation.
The system runs good, but when I try to do the command "test", at the point 3.2 it freezes... 50% of CPU is used (I've got a 4 processor pc)... and never returns!
With some debug technique I found that my interrupt simulation thread freezes! I think that there's a loop in the test that blocks all other threads in the program.
Calling regularly the function ChkIntSources() (I've commented it to do my tests :D ), the 3.2 point fails, but does not stall!!!!
The interrupt simulation is based on a windows thread and a windows timer. I report here the API functions used:

CreateWaitableTimer
SetWaitableTimer
SleepEx
CreateThread
SetThreadPriority
ResumeThread

In my opinion the program stalls because the timer thread is part of the same program process. But I don't know how to resolve this problem.
Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this?

Thank you very much,
Alessandro

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: WIN32 Simulator Improvement

Postby Giovanni » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:35 pm

It is not working because you are switching the thread registers not the registers of the simulator.

Giovanni

Alessandro

Postby Alessandro » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:46 am

And so, as far as you know, is there a way to switch all the registers of the simulator under win32?

Thanks, Regards.
Alessandro

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:02 am

Win32 does not have any mechanism to asynchronously interrupt the execution of a process as far I know, the Linux/Posix simulator could use signal APIs in that role.

ciao,
Giovanni

Return to “Development and Feedback”