Teensy 3.1 / MK20DX256VLH7 support

ChibiOS public support forum for topics related to the Freescale Kinetis family of micro-controllers.

Moderator: utzig

ohanssen

Re: Teensy 3.1 / MK20DX256VLH7 support

Postby ohanssen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks for the info. It did the trick. I used the demo example as a starting point. I have searched through the source and found the settings. I added the following to my code. Maybe these defines could be added to ...hal/boards/.../board.h since the drivers are actually activated by defining KINETIS_SERIAL_USE_UARTx.

Code: Select all

#define KINETIS_HAS_SERIAL1         TRUE
#define KINETIS_SERIAL1_IRQ_VECTOR  VectorFC
#define KINETIS_HAS_SERIAL2         TRUE
#define KINETIS_SERIAL2_IRQ_VECTOR  Vector104

RedoX

Postby RedoX » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 am

Hi everyone,

It's been a while but I have made some progress on the Teensy 3/3.1 port of ChibiOS.
Changelog is roughly:
  • Fixed the clock init in hal_lld.c to allow for more automatic configuration, given a clock frequency.
    It still needs some refinements/bug fixes but it still works better than on my previous port.
  • I started merging the K20x5 and K20x7 ports as much as possible using a common K20x base. Still WIP...
    I went with different header files, but I guess it could be done with some preprocessor macros.
    I also think the KL2x port can be included/merged in a larger Kinetis base (replacing the K20x base I made). There are some diffrerences in the clock init and also with some drivers.
  • I have a somewhat working USB driver ! Still WIP. I tested it with both Teensy 3.0 and 3.1.
    It's capable of handling the SerialOverUSB driver, and I made some Raw HID tests (using the Teensy's original hid_listen and rawhid tools).
    I think the initialization is not completely correct, since the prompt of the ChibiOS Shell always gets lost (and some strange characters fed back to the input buffer).
    I would be better to use dynamic allocation for the USB buffers, but I am not sure which method would be appropriate

I will merge the last changes regarding the security bytes (as described here), but I didn't have time for that yet. I am not responsible if it bricks your board, make sure you know what you're doing before trying this code...
I have two branches, since I don't want to merge the USB stuff in my main port until it's more stable. They are available on Github: tsy_master and tsy_usb.

Any feedback is welcome, any help would also be highly appreciated.

Cheers
-RedoX

utzig

Postby utzig » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:03 am

I'll take a look soon!

flabbergast

Postby flabbergast » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:44 am

Nice to find this! I am personally very much interested in having Teensy 3.* and Teensy LC support in ChibiOS (the main point for me is the USB stack).

Please keep up the nice work! I'll try to help (e.g. by testing) if I can.

I've done a couple of USB examples (sources here) for STM23F0x2, but it would be awesome if they eventually could run on Teensies.

RedoX

Postby RedoX » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:58 am

Hello,

I don't have any Teensy-LC, and currently don't need any, so I may not work on this port.

I have, and work with, both Teensy3.0 and Teensy3.1, so the code should work on both. The USB stack is basic, but works quite well: I tried USB CDC (for SerialOverUSB) and USB HID, check out the tsy_usb/ branch on my github repository.

Any feedback/help is welcome; it's also nice to see that it can be useful to others.

-RedoX

utzig

Postby utzig » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:43 am

People,

What would be your opinion about moving Kinetis from SVN to the community repo in Github?

flabbergast

Postby flabbergast » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:57 pm

utzig wrote:What would be your opinion about moving Kinetis from SVN to the community repo in Github?

I would welcome that.

Meanwhile, I've got two compilation issues (talking about RedoX's tsy_usb branch):
- os/hal/ports/KINETIS/K20x/usb_lld.c has a couple of leftover sdPut calls, which of course fail to compile if SERIAL_USB is not enabled ;)
- I get a (for me mysterious) warning when I use palReadPad in my code:

main.c:65:5: warning: implicit declaration of function '_pal_lld_readpad' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

(compiling for teensy 3.0). Just adding 'palReadPad(IOPORT3, 0);' to the testhal/KINETIS/TEENSY3/USB_HID example generates this as well.

RedoX

Postby RedoX » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi,

About moving to the community Github, what are the advantages ? I am afraid it would make the integration more difficult somehow, since you can't clone two repos in the same folder... I will probably keep working with my fork with the integrated changes anyway, so... do as it's easier for you =)

About the sdPut, you should comment those, or enable SERIAL (instead of USB_SERIAL). Since the driver is still WIP, i kept them, but they should be gone when ready.

About the PAL related warning, I think it's because the prototypes are not defined in pal_lld.h
After line 366, in pal_lld.h, adding

uint8_t _pal_lld_readpad(ioportid_t port, uint8_t pad);
should fix it =)

Cheers,
-RedoX

flabbergast

Postby flabbergast » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:34 pm

About the community repo: I actually like when it's side-to-side with chibios proper, and the projects pull files from both, depending on what's required - have a look at some demos in chibios-contrib. Having two forks of chibios proper (e.g. yours and the official one) requires me to keep track of what's changed where, if I want to make sure that projects work (say) both on STM32s and Teensies.

About sdPut: I fully understand why it's there ;) And yes, I've realized my mistake (SERIAL vs USB_SERIAL) just after I posted. Thanks!

_pal_lld_readpad: Thanks, the declaration helps. I was just confused by the fact that palSetPad worked without trouble... but then I went over the include files again and realised why one works and the other doesn't ;) Is this a "bug" in the chibios proper?

RedoX

Postby RedoX » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:15 pm

I know about the ChibiOS-contrib (and ChibiOS-driver) repositories and how they are setup, and I did something quite similar in the tsy_custom to keep some code outside the main ChibiOS/.
The main reason I said I would probably keep using my fork (and maintaining it) is that I don't want to spend time switching to a new "layout" if I'm the only one "actively" working on the KINETIS stuff... I already have enough work with other projects, and it's working as it is right now.
But if there's enough interest in the port, why not ;)

The whole "KINETIS" port of ChibiOS, even the files in the main Github/SVN repo, is in the early stages of development, so there are bugs and missing stuff here and there; I wouldn't call that a "bug" :P

Return to “Kinetis Support”