MFS on top of MMC/SD drivers

Discussions and support about ChibiOS/HAL, the MCU Hardware Abstraction Layer.
heliochronix

MFS on top of MMC/SD drivers

Postby heliochronix » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a project that would benefit greatly from the MFS complex driver. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to use this with one of the SD/MMC drivers I have available for my platform to implement the MFS BaseFlash object. My platform is an STM32F446RE, so I believe my options for SD/MMC drivers are MMC-SPI and SDIO.

Is it possible to use either of these drivers with the MFS complex driver?

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: MFS on top of MMC/SD drivers

Postby Giovanni » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi,

It would be possible but you would need to simulate a flat NOR flash on top of a block-based SD-MMC device and implement the flash interface. Wouldn't be easier to attach a SPI NOR flash?

In addition, you would need to enforce a 512 bytes alignment for MFS or write operations could be destructive in case of power loss.

Giovanni

steved

Postby steved » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:52 pm

Have a look at https://github.com/ARMmbed/littlefs - it might be a more straightforward alternative to implement if it does what you want.

heliochronix

Postby heliochronix » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:07 am

Hello,

That's a good point. Mostly we wanted to try it on MMC/SD for ease of swapping out and checking during the development/testing phase of our project. I'll take a look at littlefs to see if it'll work for us. The goal is to have redundant checksum'd firmware images and configuration information for subsystems on a satellite project.

Return to “ChibiOS/HAL”