Accessing debugging output from STM32F4 Discovery board

ChibiOS public support forum for all topics not covered by a specific support forum.

Moderators: utzig, lbednarz, tfAteba, barthess, RoccoMarco

crosstalk

Accessing debugging output from STM32F4 Discovery board

Postby crosstalk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:50 am

I'm new to embedded programming, and am just beginning to work on a STM32F4 Discovery kit. I am using summon-arm-toolchain for my toolchain, ChibiOS/RT, and OpenOCD to deploy the image. All of this is done from a Linux PC (Linux Mint).

I'm currently deploying over USB. Although I understand I should be able to get debug output (by which I mean printf-type output) from a UART, can I access it directly over USB? If so, how?

Thank you for any help.

Abhishek

Re: Accessing debugging output from STM32F4 Discovery board

Postby Abhishek » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:13 am

If you are using the ARM-CM4-STM32F4DISCOVERY-MEMS demo, this uses the USB-CDC serial port. This means you can connect the microUSB connector (on the bottom of the board) to your system and it will work using the onboard USB which emulates a serial port.

If you are using the other demos, they use the USART peripheral and you would have to use an external COM port and connect the PA2 and PA3 lines to it through a MAX232/MAX3232.

If you do not have a USB serial port (or a real serial port) on your PC, you would probably try that demo. Since you are using Linux, it would work right away (windows users need to install a driver).

Best Regards
Abhishek

crosstalk

Postby crosstalk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:38 am

Thank you -- I'll give that a try (hopefully tomorrow) and let you know if I run into any issues.

mabl

Postby mabl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:16 am

Just to warn you:
summon-arm-toolchain has some problems with function calls and generates invalid assembler code. I've never figured out why. I recommend looking into one of those:

https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded
https://github.com/EliasOenal/TNT

Return to “General Support”