After some year spent on the ChibiOS Project, I have co-founded a blog with free articles about embedded. Currently, there are more than an author and even if I am the Editor-in-Chief, I am still writing article many of which are on ChibiOS and about how to getting started with it.
Giovanni has spent most of his spare time to write a book and some useful articles which are on the main website of ChibiOS.
My hunch is that not everyone is aware of these resources and the purpose of this post is to provide a quick index to all of them.
2. Getting started with ChibiOS
After some years I have decided to renew the oldest part of my blog which was dedicated to the topic "Getting started with ChibiOS".
I am currently writing detailed articles and I will update often this topic. By the way, articles have been organised to provide you with all the information step by step.
Here the list of articles:
- From 0 to STM32 an article which introduces STM32 and ARM architecture explaining also how to install STM32 related drivers.
- Developing on STM32: introducing ChibiStudio an article which explains how to set-up a ready-to-use Eclipse-based toolchain named ChibiStudio for the development on STM32. There is also information about some basic operations necessary for daily development.
- A close look to ChibiOS demos for STM32, to understand how default ChibiOS demos are structured and how to use and edit them for our purposes;
- Using STM32’s GPIO with ChibiOS’ PAL Driver, to understand how to deal with STM32 General Purpose IO through the ChibiOS PAL driver;
- Using STM32′ USART with ChibiOS Serial Driver, to understand how to deal with STM32 Universal Synchronous\Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter to implement an RS-232 using ChibiOS Serial driver.
- Using STM32’s ADC with ChibiOS ADC Driver, to understand how to deal with STM32 Analog to Digital Converter and convert the signal in sequence using ChibiOS ADC Driver.
- PWM in hardware with STM32 Timer and ChibiOS, to understand how to generate PWM signal using STM32 TIM.
- Using STM32 SPI with ChibiOS, to understand how to deal with Serial Peripheral Interface of the STM32 using ChibiOS SPI Driver.
- Using STM32 I2C with ChibiOS, to understand how to deal with Inter-Integrated Circuit bus of the STM32 using ChibiOS I2C Driver.
3. Most interesting topics
3.1 Problems related to ChibiStudio, setup, flash and run procedure
3.2 Practical examples
- How to create a thread
- Reliable timing using threads
- Dealing with LEDs using an STM32
- Dealing with push-buttons using an STM32
- Printing strings on a Virtual COM port with an STM32
- C Library design for embedded applications: tips and hints
- ChibiOS/HAL design: an object-oriented approach