ChibiStudio - Problem when cleaning project

Discussions and support about ChibiStudio, the free development environment for ARM.
jscott

ChibiStudio - Problem when cleaning project

Postby jscott » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:03 am

While trying to sort out another problem, I decided to do a 'make clean' from the Project menu.

It worked, but caused a couple of problems....

1. When I rebuild the project now, it wants to show me all the asm listings in the Console windows as it builds. This is distracting, takes longer to rebuild ( all those screen updates.... ), and any errors, warnings and other messages go zipping off the top of the screen before I even know they were there...

2. The 'clean' removes the build/ directory from the project directory as well as build/obj/ When I rebuild it creates the build/ directory, but does not create the build/obj/ directory. The build then fails when it can not find the build/obj directory to put the *.o files into. It looks like the /build/lst/ directory is missing also...

Thanks again!!!
-John Scott
atl123.com

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: ChibiStudio - Problem when cleaning project

Postby Giovanni » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:12 am

What you are reporting is not the normal behavior, did you make changes to the makefiles?

You may try to reinstall ChibiStudio and reimport your project in the workspace.

Giovanni

steved

Postby steved » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:26 pm

I have on occasion seen the same problem, although in my case I think it just started happening during a 'normal' build.

Its possibly related to files not being deleted during build. Certainly I've had errors of the type 'Cannot delete .build directory', following which the assembler listings are omitted. Once I've managed to delete the .build directory, the problem (usually, IIRC) goes away.

steved

Postby steved » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Have had this happen again.

I did a 'make clean', which failed with 'cannot delete build directory'.
Then a 'make' failed with something like 'cannot creat obj directory'.
I created the obj directory manually - then the make completed, with all the listings being displayed in the console window.

It could well be an OS problem, since restarting chibiStudio doesn't fix it.
I occasionally see similar problems running other apps, and suspect my antiVirus (AVG)

mabl

Postby mabl » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Wasn't it like Windows cannot delete files which are used (that's why it needs to reboot *every fcking update*). So maybe you still had gdb opened and it cannot delete the file? Just guessing :mrgreen:

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Right, it is possible that OpenOCD is "holding" the .elf file so it is not possible to remove the directory. Make sure to close the GDB server.

Giovanni

jscott

Postby jscott » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks for bumping this thread.

I will clone my development VM and do some more testing to see if I can figure out what is going on.

Giovanni,
I have tweeked my makefiles some, but I don't see anything I have done that may have caused this kind of problem. Mostly added stuff to show size of executable, and adding code module to the build list and move board.h and board.c to my project directory.

Steved,
Have you made any changes to your makefiles?

-jscott

steved

Postby steved » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:24 pm

jscott wrote:Steved,
Have you made any changes to your makefiles?
-jscott

As far as I can remember (not got the files here) I only changed a path to make the code build.

Giovanni wrote:Right, it is possible that OpenOCD is "holding" the .elf file so it is not possible to remove the directory. Make sure to close the GDB server.
Giovanni

I normally start OpenOCD on the first debug, and keep it open until I've done, with no apparent problems. IIRC Eclipse won't let you do a 'Clean' if there's an open debug session. And pretty certain this has occurred without OpenOCD ever having been started.

mabl wrote:Wasn't it like Windows cannot delete files which are used (that's why it needs to reboot *every fcking update*). So maybe you still had gdb opened and it cannot delete the file? Just guessing :mrgreen:

I think its a wider Windows problem - blocking access to files/directories which were used, but are no longer open - which then somehow triggers abnormal behaviour in the build process. (Is sending the listing to the console a default behaviour? If so, maybe the override options file couldn't be accessed).

steved

Postby steved » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 am

I've just had this happen again, and found that it was because Eclipse couldn't create the build/lst subdirectory (which was deleted as part of an earlier 'clean'). I created the directory manually, and the problem went away.
Seems to be a general problem, since Eclipse couldn't create the build/obj subdirectory either, so I created that manually.

I suspect its a manifestation of a wider problem I encounter occasionally, where Windoze perceives a directory as being 'in use', and won't let you delete it. I've seen it on a number of computers, all running XP home (mix of SP2 and SP3). Possibly AV-related - I'm using AVG.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi,

It is possible but I don't have an idea about how to fix that case.

Giovanni

Return to “ChibiStudio”