ChibiStudio and Nucleo F446RET

Discussions and support about ChibiStudio, the free development environment for ARM.
jfitter

ChibiStudio and Nucleo F446RET

Postby jfitter » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Still on my quest to evaluate ChibiOS for some up-coming work. I got FreeRTOS running in Eclipse.Oxygen in under an hour and executing sample apps soon after. I have put in several days into ChibiOS and still not a single app working.

After a rough start I am now using the default configuration as supplied. ChibiStudio with Eclipse.Luna installed at D:/Software/ChibiStudio.
The sample app I am trying is /chibios182/demos/STM32/RT-STM32F446RE-NUCLEO64 which matches my board.

I can build the app successfully. OpenOCD is running. The app appears to run in the debugger. It shows 1 thread running but other than that it appears to be halted - ???waiting for HSE to stabilize???

Of course the lights don't flash. In fact nothing happens. The board works - tested on another blinky app to make certain. The board is fitted with an 8 meg crystal per STM instructions.

I get the same result on 2 different machines - desktop i7/w7 and laptop i7/w7.

Looks like I'm in over my head at present. I can't get up the learning curve if I can't get on it....
I am not inexperienced - just not familiar with Eclipse or STM, but I need to be successful, and soon, for Uni research work.

I would be very grateful for some help. What info do you need?

RoccoMarco

Re: ChibiStudio and Nucleo F446RET

Postby RoccoMarco » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Hello. I wrote some articles to help people getting started with ChibiOS and STM32.

I suggest you to read them and in a couple of hour you will be able to use Eclipse, STM32 and ChibiOS with proficiency.

I am still composing new articles. Feedback is highly appreciated.
Ciao,
RM

jfitter

Postby jfitter » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:00 am

RoccoMarco wrote:....I suggest you to read them and in a couple of hour you will be able to use Eclipse, STM32 and ChibiOS with proficiency....

Thanks. I read all of the documents (again) so now I am "ON" the learning curve. Better than being OFF it.

The Nucleo F446RE is now working flashing green lights and doing a lot of talking :D .

What worked for me to get the Nucleo F446RE working was to undefine STM32_HSE_BYPASS in board.h.
I suspect this is because I installed a crystal. I will need to delve deeper to understand just what this define is and how it works.

Thanks for your help.

steved

Postby steved » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:16 am

jfitter wrote:What worked for me to get the Nucleo F446RE working was to undefine STM32_HSE_BYPASS in board.h.
I suspect this is because I installed a crystal. I will need to delve deeper to understand just what this define is and how it works.

Most of the ST devices have clock pins which can accept either a crystal or a straight logic-level clock. Once that clock is enabled, the STM32_HSE_BYPASS determines the type of clock.
A lot of the configuration options derive from the features ST provide, so its a 2-pronged learning curve - what do the ST devices do, and how does ChibiOs help? Once you've got the hang of things, you should find that some things get a whole lot easier; for example I've moved simple applications from a low-end to a high-end ST platform in minutes; pretty much tweak the makefile and update the hardware pins. On that subject, when starting a project, use the demo nearest to your configuration as a template; takes the hard work out of the makefile.

Return to “ChibiStudio”