ChibiStudio/Eclipse.Oxygen

Discussions and support about ChibiStudio, the free development environment for ARM.
jfitter

ChibiStudio/Eclipse.Oxygen

Postby jfitter » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:58 am

I have an Eclipse.Oxygen installation which I use for development of several widely different projects. It is a smoothly working installation and took a long time to get it right - plugins (some paid for), configuration, etc. I am disinclined to revert to an earlier version, or to carry two versions on the same machine.

Os is Win7.

A further complication is that I only use C: drive to boot and for a small number of purposes that must be fast, as it is an SSD. All applications run from D: drive which is a RAID array. ChibiStudio installer does not like this. I can alter the .bat files but I would expect hidden gotchas...

I find now that it is impossible (??difficult) to integrate ChibiStudio into this installation. The automated installer appears only to work with .Mars and no more recent versions of Eclipse. I am currently developing with FreeRTOS but have a new application that I need to evaluate with ChibiOS, which I will stay with if I like it (and can get it to work...).

Can anyone offer some suggestions about how I may get ChibiStudio working in my environment, or if not when is the plugin installer for .Oxygen likely to become available.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

steved

Re: ChibiStudio/Eclipse.Oxygen

Postby steved » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:23 am

Don't see why it should be impossible, unless there are some drastic changes in Eclipse Oxygen.
I'm running Eclipse Luna in that way; however I started from the prepackaged Eclipse for ChibiOs. Maybe for evaluation that's the place to start; then look at integration if everything else is OK.

These are the steps I've noted for a new installation on drive D:

Code: Select all

1. Install on drive D in the normal way (expand *.7z file in root directory).
2. Modify the drive in the supplied startup shortcuts
3. Modify the drive in the supplied startup batch files
4. If using a non-standard library, copy it to the ChibiStudio directory
5. Start Eclipse
6. Select workspace on D: (workspace_user)
7. Add projects to workspace; typically copy existing to directory and import
8. For each project, under Properties-→Resources-→Linked resources, edit paths (mainly path variables, which may be global to workspace)
9. To avoid error markers when including system  libraries in source files, add compiler header files to include file list:
a) go to Properties→C/C++ General/Paths and Symbols. “Includes” tab.
For each of Assembly, C, C++ add the compiler's header file (for system libraries) directory.
b) (Possibly not necessary)
go to Properties→C/C++ General/Preprocessor Include Paths. For each of C and C++add an entry under 'CDT User Setting Entries' pointing to the compiler include paths

It's worth pointing out that the Chibi plugin for Eclipse is only relevant for debugging (unless it adds some settings relevant to development that I've not noticed).

It sounds as if you're familiar enough with Eclipse to possibly transfer the relevant settings from Luna to Oxygen - whereas I just live with multiple Eclipse installations! (Partly because one is extremely platform-specific and old, and the other non-Chibi one I don't use often).

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: ChibiStudio/Eclipse.Oxygen

Postby Giovanni » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 am

Hi,

After Mars they removed an API used by the ChibiOS debugger plugin so Oxygen is not supported.

Giovanni

Return to “ChibiStudio”