Announcement of chibios-gfx.com

Tectu

Announcement of chibios-gfx.com

Postby Tectu » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Hello Folks,

As you all know, ChibiOS/GFX is getting bigger and bigger. Of course, a nice and useful project needs a proper project documentation. Therefore, I am proud to announce http://chibios-gfx.com
This will become the official GFX project home page. It will contain the entire documentation, as well as a blog which keeps track of changes.

I didn't had much time to spend into the site yet. Also, it's the first time that I work with Joomla (CMS). There's nothing permanent yet. We don't even have a proper site header and a logo yet ;-)

I'd be happy if a few of you guys would be open to write a few lines or create a proper logo, header or other media. I'll hand out accounts.
If anyone has experiences and knowledge of Joomla, please let me know!

I am very very open for any feedbacks and improvements. As you might see, I am really not good at web development.

(Please note that the blog entry about the HAL macros is not applied to the library yet)

~ Tectu

bobc

Re: [IMPORTANT] Announcement of chibios-gfx.com

Postby bobc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:58 am

Sorry if this is a rehash, but if there is a non-commercial restriction in the license then it is not Open Source. Is that the intention?

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:57 am

Open source does mean that each an every one can see the source code. But this dosen't give you any right to use the code in commercial products (or copy it)!
This model is quite often used in open source projects. For example, ChibiOS/RT does it the exact same way ;-)

Anyways, there will be more content added about that for sure.

~ Tectu

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 am

ChibiOS/RT does not restrict commercial applications, it is GPL3 plus an exception added in order to -allow- commercial use.

The product is as open source as any other GPL3 project.

Giovanni

bobc

Postby bobc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Tectu wrote:Open source does mean that each an every one can see the source code. But this dosen't give you any right to use the code in commercial products (or copy it)!
This model is quite often used in open source projects. For example, ChibiOS/RT does it the exact same way ;-)

Anyways, there will be more content added about that for sure.

I am afraid that is quite wrong. Open Source is universally recognized to mean no restrictions on use, including commercial use. You can google for many references to that.
You can craft alternative licenses that place commercial restrictions, but they will never be recognized as open source.

I appreciate that some organizations incorrectly use the label "Open Source" and generally muddy the waters, which can lead to confusion, but the Open Source definition is quite clear (e.g. http://opensource.org/docs/osd)

The usual workaround is dual licensing, an Open Source license and a separate license with commercial terms. However, a commercial enterprise can always still use the Open Source license providing they meet the terms of the Open Source license (i.e. in publishing source etc). The only way to ensure that others will not make money from your code is not to make it Open Source.

As a practical matter, as I work on Open Source projects, I can not incorporate non-Open Source code into my projects, nor would I contribute code to non-Open Source projects (unless paid, but I have perfectly good day job). And I really would like to help with graphics drivers for ChibiOS.

I guess your intention is to make it dual license like ChibiOS?

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Hey bobc,

This is correct, the goal is it to have the same model as ChibiOS/RT.
Of course I'll make future content about that aspect. I hope that I can contact you if I have any questions?

It's great to hear that you'd like to contribute to GFX :)

~ Tectu

mabl

Postby mabl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:32 am

:!: Vote for BSD licence for the code :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen: Seriously, that would be less trouble by far.

inmarket

Postby inmarket » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:03 am

The code is now under the same license as ChibiOS.
My understanding of what that means - you can use it in whatever you want but if you make changes to the source code you must publish them.
The linking exception allows you to not publish your own main application source code. You must still however publish any changes made to ChibiOS (and in this case ChibiOS/GFX).

The real reference is the documentation in ChibiOS on these issues. Refer to that.

inmarket

Postby inmarket » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:03 am

The code is now under the same license as ChibiOS.
My understanding of what that means - you can use it in whatever you want but if you make changes to the source code you must publish them.
The linking exception allows you to not publish your own main application source code. You must still however publish any changes made to ChibiOS (and in this case ChibiOS/GFX).

The real reference is the documentation in ChibiOS on these issues. Refer to that.

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:23 am

I'm not quite sure what you try to tell me?

~ Tectu

Return to “LCD Driver and Graphic Framework”